Spring Chicken with Lemon, Honey and Cardamom
Spring chickens or poussin are perfect barbecuing material and pretty easy to find at good butchers and supermarkets.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 spring chickens, prepared as above
- The juice and grated zest of 3 lemons
- 4tbsp olive or corn oil
- The black seeds from 30 cardamom pods
- Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 100-120g clear honey
- To prepare them for barbecuing, you need to cut through the back bone with a heavy chopping knife and score the legs a few times down to the bone, so the heat gets through and they cook evenly.
- Then, a few hours before you barbecue, put the chicken in a non-reactive tray with the lemon, oil, cardamom and seasoning.
- Turn every half an hour or so until your barbecue is lit and you are ready to go.
- Cook the chickens on a medium heat for about 10-12 minutes on each side, spooning or brushing some honey on top every so often. Keep an eye out for burning, and move them to a cooler part of the barbecue if necessary.
Serve with salad of your choice. I’ve used red onion and fennel.