Ingredients – Serves 4
- 5 chicken thighs (boneless and skinned)
- 2 shallots or 1 large onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 tin of plum tomatoes
- 1 fresh chilli (add more if you like)
- 1 teaspoon garlic/ginger paste
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Coriander leaf
- 1½ tablespoons of ground cumin
- 1½ tablespoons of ground coriander
- 2 cups of rice
- Cut chicken into small strips.
- Finely dice shallots, cube carrots into 0.5cm pieces and potatoes into 1 cm pieces.
- Puree the tin of tomatoes and finely chop the coriander leaf.
- Wash rice and add to 4 cups of boiling water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a pan and heat, then fry the shallots for 2 minutes.
- Next add the chilli, thyme, garlic and ginger paste and then fry for 1 minute.
- Add the diced carrot and fry for 1 minute, then add the cumin and coriander.
- Now, add in the chicken thighs and cook until sealed.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the puree tomatoes, add 200ml water then cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer for 5 more minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch or two of sugar. It’s important to get the balance right.
- Finish with some chopped coriander and serve.